Tuesday, October 6, 2009

37 Weeks!

Only 3 more weeks to go! However, I would not be upset if Luca decided to make his appearance a little earlier :-) I am completely exhausted, but I am so huge and uncomfortable that it is almost impossible to get any sleep at night. I get winded and am out of breath just sitting at my desk and talking on the phone with clients - which seems completely ridiculous, but it's true. My hips feel like they are just floating around and I think the baby is sitting right on my sciatic nerve because I get shooting pains in my back and legs if I step wrong or move too quickly. This is definitely the hardest part of being pregnant!

I am now going to the Dr. every week and I had my appointment yesterday morning. The last couple times I have gone to the Dr. I have seen the midwife that works in the office. It will either be her or the OBGYN that will deliver me. At first I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure how much training and what kind of medical background midwives have, but after meeting with her a few times (and asking her questions about the major differences between midwives and OB's) I feel much better and I actually think I would prefer to have her deliver the baby since I have only seen Dr. Sand (my OB) about 3 times this entire pregnancy (he did all the ultrasounds).

So, she "checked" me yesterday and said that my cervix feels soft and "jellowy" - which is apparently a good thing. I guess normally your cervix is like a hard little knob (kind of like the end of your nose) and she said it is very good progress that it is so soft already since this is my first pregnancy. She said that I was not yet dilating, but there was only a very thin membrane left before my cervix starts to open. All this progress was music to my ears! However, she also said that I could be dilated to 4 cm and not have a baby for another couple weeks or I could not be dilated at all and still have a baby that night. So, I guess Luca is still going to make his appearance whenever he is ready and cm don't mean much :-) I am looking forward to next week's appointment though to see if any more progress has been made!

1 comment:

Caleb and Anna Fields said...

Hey, only one week to go now! You're almost there! I know you must me so miserable but keep your eyes on the prise :) I hear my mom may come up to help out for a bit! Take her up on it! She is great to have around and she even gets up in the middle of the night! Can't wait to see you in December!