Monday, October 26, 2009

39 Weeks, 6 Days, 18 Hours...

I had a Dr. Appt this afternoon so I thought I should give everyone an update.

First I will start with the fact that I came down with a terrible cold two Friday's ago. Definitely not what I needed when I was ready to have a baby any day. I felt pretty crummy all last week but tried to keep it under control with lots of Airborne, Tylenol Cold and plenty of fluids. By the end of the week I was feeling a little bit better. However, this weekend it hit me all over again - mostly in my sinuses. My nose has been plugged for the last 3 days making it very difficult to breath (as if I wasn't having enough trouble doing that already), my ears are ringing, my teeth hurt from all the sinus pressure and today my whole body ached all over. At this point, I am having a hard time determining which aches and pains are from the cold and which are from being almost 40 weeks pregnant. I am also trying really hard to finish up a bunch of stuff at work before I go on maternity leave, but I am having a hard time concentrating because my head is so congested.

So, I had my weekly checkup today. She asked if I had noticed any changes in the last week or felt any contractions, etc. I told her I still haven't felt any contractions, but that my lower back has been aching all day. Again, this could be due to any number of things - like the fact that I was cleaning the house last night or that I have a baby the size of a watermelon in my belly that is growing straight out and putting tons of strain on my lower back. I told the Dr. that my main concern at this point is that my cold isn't getting any better and that my sinuses were completely clogged. I also told her that I was achy all over, but didn't feel like I had a fever. She said that she would prescribe me some antibiotics in case I have a sinus infection so that we can try to get it cleared up before I go into labor. She also said that she didn't want to check me today because she didn't want to "start" anything as she really wants me to feel better before the baby gets here. It would be a little difficult to breath through contractions with my nose all stuffed up. Luca is still moving around a lot, which is good. Mostly I feel his feet trying to kick through my stomach. Poor guy, he must be totally out of room in there! I scheduled another appointment for Friday so she can see if the antibiotics are working and she will also check my cervix at that time. If I haven't made any more progress since my last appointment, then we will look at scheduling a day to induce me. At my last appointment (39 weeks), I was 50% effaced, but not yet dilating. If it looks like I have made some progress, they will give me another couple days to see if Luca decides to come out on his own. But, she said after 41 weeks they will "kick him out" :-)

At this point I am just really frustrated. This is not how I wanted to feel days before we meet our little baby! It amazes me that I made it the entire pregnancy and didn't get sick once, and then I get sick right before I am supposed to deliver! I am still so anxious for Luca to get here, but at this point I am hoping he will hold out a few more days and hopefully the antibiotics will kick in and clear up my sinuses and I will start to feel better. Please keep us in your thoughts and pray that I will feel better soon!


The Chases said...

Hang in there girl! I will be praying for you to get better soon! Keep the updates coming...I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for Luca to come. Love you!

Mary Jane said...

I am so sorry you are sick. Don's been batteling a similar problem--no baby involved, though! We'll be in Las Vegas Thursday-Sunday, so I hope Luca hangs in there a little longer, too.