Monday, November 16, 2009

2 Week "Wellness Check"

I took Luca in for his 2 week check-up today. I really wanted to know how much he weighed to make sure he was still getting enough to eat. He weighed 9 lbs 4 oz! He gained a pound in a week! The Dr. said that they usually look for about an ounce a day and he gained 16 ounces in 7 days. I was really relieved! He measured at 20 3/4 inches (3/4 inch longer than he was at birth) and his head measurement was 14 inches (not sure how this compares to what he was at birth). The Dr. said that he looked very healthy and he checked out perfectly!

Before we left, a nurse came in and did another newborn screening test. He had the first test done while we were in the hospital (24 hours after he was born). To do the test, they prick his heel with a needle and put a bunch of little blood drops on this absorbent paper that they then send off to be tested for certain disorders. The nurse told me that if I breastfed him while they pricked his heel he probably wouldn't cry. So I did, and it worked great - he didn't fuss at all.

His next Dr. appointment will be his 2 month check-up and we scheduled that for the beginning of January. I am a little nervous for that appointment because he will be getting shots :-(

No comments: